Are you insecure of your privacy? Do you want to keep your secret files hidden from other people like your friends or brothers & sisters? Then here is an easy way to We are going to create password protected folder without using any software just using batch script file(.bat).
- Decide where you want to have your PRIVATE folder first. It could be on your desktop or in your C Drive or somewhere else.
- Now open 'Notepad' and copy the following code into it.
cls @ECHO OFF title Folder Private if EXIST "DSP" goto UNLOCK if NOT EXIST Private goto MDLOCKER :CONFIRM echo Are you sure you want to lock the folder(Y/N) set/p "cho=>" if %cho%==Y goto LOCK if %cho%==y goto LOCK if %cho%==n goto END if %cho%==N goto END echo Invalid choice. goto CONFIRM :LOCK ren Private "DSP" attrib +h +s "DSP" echo Folder locked goto End :UNLOCK echo Enter password to unlock folder set/p "pass=>" if NOT %pass%== PASSWORD_HERE goto FAIL attrib -h -s "DSP" ren "DSP" Private echo Folder Unlocked successfully goto End :FAIL echo Invalid password goto end :MDLOCKER md Private echo Private created successfully goto End :End
- Change the words 'PASSWORD_HERE' to what ever password you want for your 'PRIVATE' folder. (keep it secret and remember it !!!)
- Now save it with any name you wish, but with the extension '.bat' (.bat stands for batch file). Save it in the folder which you've decided in the first step. (I've saved my file as Matrix.bat)
- Now, open the batch file (Matrix) by double clicking on it. The first time you run it, it will create a folder called "Private". This is where you store your secrets. Add all your secret stuff in to this folder.
- Now, double click and open the batch file (Matrix.bat) once again. A prompt window appears which asks you "Are you sure you want to lock the folder". Press “Y” / "y" (y - yes) and hit enter to lock your folder.
- Now, the PRIVATE folder is no longer visible. (not even to you)
- Whenever you want to open the PRIVATE folder and view the contents in it, double-click on the '.bat file' (batch file) and enter the password which you have entered previously. Miraculously PRIVATE folder becomes visible again.
- Repeat the above procedure, when ever you want to add new things or you want to view things.
Note: This method is not Completely efficient because when ever some one opens your 'bat' file in Notepad, they can see your password. But, this is a nice beginners method to Locking and password protecting your files. More efficient ways will be discussed in the subsequent posts. So, stay tuned :)
Thanks for stopping by. For more interesting and awesome tricks and tweaks subscribe to our blog feed.